Saturday, November 22, 2008

Erasmo

Twice a week I volunteer, tutoring first through third graders.

Wednesday is my day to work w/ Erasmo, age eight. He is an English learner, small and thin with a wiry, mischievous face. The first time I met him, he told me he had ten brothers, ten sisters, and a pet dinosaur at home. He and I immediately bonded. He says, “I miss you every day you’re not here.”

But he is a challenge. He clearly has given up on ever learning this reading thing. He will only look at things that are easy, but everything’s hard for him. I always spend the first half hour trying to get him to sit in his chair and focus. He is up and down, wants a drink of water, wants to watch a spider in the window, wants to position the book cart in just the right place.

Today he wanted to show me some fall leaves he picked up outside the boy’s room. I never yell at him, but I spoke firmly and said, “They won’t let me come any more if you don’t read.” Usually that works. But he just sat staring off in space. I tried my usual prodding—no response. Finally I pretended to knock on his head and said, “Anybody home?” That got a grin out of him.

But he still wouldn’t look at his book. I said, “Is anything bothering you?”

After a long time he said, “I miss my grandma.”

I said, “Where is she?”

“She died.”

I said, “When did she die?”

“When I was in my mother’s tummy.”

I thought Oh for Christ’s sake. Out loud I said, “You really miss your grandma even though she died before you met her.”

For some reason that perked him up. He opened his book and started to read. We worked for about twenty minutes.

Then he said he wanted to show me something, so I watched as he made flower and butterfly sculptures out of his leaves, scotch tape, and cut-up pieces of a straw he found under the table. I could only say, “How beautiful, how beautiful.”

Some folks may think I am a pushover, and I am; but for what price am I also going to squash his sense of wonder and beauty? I pray for God to show me the way to reach this darling boy, even if only by letting him know someone loves him.

No comments: