Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Problem With Thank You Notes

My task this week was to write a thank you note to the editor who critiqued my manuscript at the writer’s conference. Everyone knows it’s a smart business practice.

The problem is I am hopelessly neurotic about it. I know I am schmoozing this editor--my big chance to impress her. I must also plug my manuscript to make sure she remembers me later when I submit something. But I have to write like I am not schmoozing and not trying to impress or plug my book.

I wrote four drafts of the thing--Three measly sentences and it’d taken me five days. Yesterday I had to make myself some of my two-minute ice cream (recipe below) just to calm myself. Is it any wonder I never get stuff done?

My friend Jacqueline says I am perfectionistic. I think I’m just following my family's rules. As a kid the biggest sin was making a mistake. It didn’t matter if it was a minor offense or an innocent error, there was hell to pay.

A Typical Example:

At age eight, I had to dress and get to school by myself every morning because Mom worked. One afternoon when I got home, Mom had a screaming fit because I’d worn my Brownie uniform with a magenta sweater. Apparently they clashed. To make matters worse, school pictures had been taken that day, so now I’d ruined them. The shame of this hung over me for decades.

It wasn’t until about five years ago that I suddenly realized, “Wait a minute. That picture was in black and white. What difference did it make if I wore a magenta sweater?”


But this stuff gets injected into your DNA and it takes continual work to leach it out.

As far as the thank you note was concerned, what I finally did was pray—“God you know what this editor needs; give me the words.”

Suddenly I remembered—a thank you note is just an act of kindness. After all, everybody is insecure, even editors.

After that I forgot about impressing her or making sure she remembered me and my manuscript. I just sent an act of love. She had given me a very thoughtful and gentle critique and even her criticisms encouraged me because they made my writing better. And that’s what I told her. No schmooze, just fact.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART

Poe’s 2-Minute Ice Cream
(This particular recipe is designed for people who are trying to eliminate sugar and cholesterol, but purists can substitute cream and add sugar to taste)

1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries or peaches
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 Tbl cocoa powder(optional)
1 Tbl nut butter(optional)

Puree in blender. (It helps to pulse, and you have to stop frequently to push the fruit down between the blades) After two minutes it should have the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. For firmer stuff dump it into a Tupperware and freeze for an hour or two.

No comments: