Friday, January 16, 2009

More on Erasmo

Back in November I wrote that I was praying to find a way to reach Erasmo, the ADD kid I’ve been tutoring. The following week, while waiting for him to arrive, something told me, “Smile at him all the time.” So I did and here’s what happened:

That week I’d brought a box of very easy Clifford (the Big Red Dog)books. He spent about 15 minutes arranging the books by color, then in the order they appear on the box. I gently said, “Come on, let’s read.” He surprised both of us by reading one whole book (5 pages), a first for him.

Then he said, “Oh! Oh! I have an idea!” He invented a game where he and I would see who could spell words fastest. I let him win every time, pretending to be totally incompetent. He laughed and laughed, and played the game for 45 minutes. This is the most focused I’ve ever seen him.

Afterwards he said, “Do you have a boyfriend?” I said, “No, but I have a husband.” He threw up his hands and said, “I’m out of here! I’m gonna jump right out the window!”

No comments: