Saturday, January 10, 2009

Why My Christmas Tree Is Still Up

I’m back! Did you notice I haven’t written for three weeks? Well, I was highly busy with Xmas and Hanukah, and then a week-long vacation.

By far the biggest time-consumer was making new figures for my crèche. I started this project years ago, when I read about French manger scenes that encompass a whole village (butcher, baker, laundress, etc.) I immediately coveted one, so I sat down and built my own out of paper mache. It is probably my greatest joy. We have the usual holy family, but for example, Mary just had a baby, so she’s a little plump, sitting a bit sideways. Instead of three wise men, I have two kings and a queen. The shepherds are acting silly, falling down on top of the sheep. You get the idea.

Every year I add new figures. It’s the only crèche I know that has a dachshund, a mouse, two cats in the yard, a peacock, girl playing cello, a nun holding a chocolate-covered cherry, and a hippie. This year I added three of my husband’s drinking buddies, sitting at table. Since one of the kings looks like Jerry, this year I put him with his buddies, pouring the wine.

Much as I enjoyed this, it still took up scads of time. Meanwhile I was also writing cards, getting presents, walking down Christmas Tree Lane, going to the Messiah, cooking, cleaning, decorating, shopping, making two historically-accurate miniature Romans (Laura’s present). The weeks leading up to the holiday went by in such a rush, I never got a chance to enjoy it.

When I was a kid, it seemed like Christmas would never get here. Now I’m like, “What, already? And shit, I forgot to get something for Aunt Mable.”

So now on January 8th, even though Christmas is past, even Three Kings Day is past, I’ve kept the tree up and lit. I like it, and why not? After the holidays, time passes slower. I can eat breakfast beneath the tree, or just stop and gaze at each one of my beloved ornaments.

In case you’re worried, I don’t plan to leave the tree up all year or even till March when it’s a dried-out hulk. But for now I can relax and celebrate Peace on Earth in the midst of a little peace and quiet.

(And I'm really enjoying my beloved manger scene)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In Gary's family, the tree-leaving-up tradition was two weeks before Christmas, two weeks after. So January 8 would still be within that parameter. (Of course, both his parents were bad alcoholics. :-D )