Saturday, February 7, 2009

No Brag; Just Fact

While in high school I developed a crush on a guy who was really into Random Acts of Kindness, though he called it “buying someone a little happiness.” For example, whenever he came to a tollbooth he’d pay the toll of the car behind him. He was the leader of a huge crowd of kids who liked to go eat at truck stops and coffee shops. Having been a waitress myself, it’s no fun getting a dozen rowdy teenagers at once. But when we were done, my friend made us all clean up everything, stack the dishes, and then empty our pockets, leaving a huge pile of money for a tip.

As I got older and started feeling better about myself, I also got the yen to "buy someone a little happiness." You might say it's become my hobby.

Here’s what I did this week:

*An acquaintance had mentioned her upcoming birthday, so I sent her a card.

*Had fifteen minutes to kill while waiting for a prescription to be filled at Costco, so my daughter and I went out into the parking lot and put shopping cars away.

*Was beating myself up over mistakes in the past, so I said, “In memory of this mistake, I will buy some extra cans of food for the food bank.” And I did.

*I saw a newcomer at my Al-Anon meeting standing alone and crying. I went over and gave her a hug, and didn't let go till she let go.


Today's Reminder:
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a tough battle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would that have been your Rapunzel co-star? I vaguely remember that tipping and table-cleaning behavior.

Glad you are carrying on, and doing it with progeny, to boot!

lyttie poe said...

Yes, as a matter of fact, it was.