Saturday, August 29, 2009

Missed Opportunity

I’ve always sensed my sister-in-law doesn’t like me. She never wants to chat. She never invites me to do things. When I drop something off at her house, she usually doesn’t even open her door all the way.

This morning she called to say she was coming by to pick up something. I went out and started sweeping my yard. I found myself hoping she’d arrive in time to see me. Maybe she’d think, “Why, look--I’ve misjudged Poe; she's industrious. I want to make her my best friend and queen of the world.” (I'm telling the truth--this is the way my mind works.)

By the time sister-in-law rang the doorbell, I had long finished sweeping. Opening the front door, I realized I'd never cleaned the doorstep, which was absolutely filthy with leaves and debris.

Big sigh.

Oh well...

No comments: