Saturday, September 5, 2009

Good Enough

My friend Nance is the Queen of Wisdom. This week we were talking about why people never think they’re good enough.

The Cause:
Innocent and vulnerable children get picked on by insecure big people.

In my case, I thought my folks really knew the score when they told me I was:

1. Stupid
2. Bad
3. Crazy
4. Lazy
5. Ugly
6. Immature
7. Careless
8. Boring

Even today I still believe these things. No wonder I'm whacked.

The solution, Nance suggested, is to examine each one logically and ask, Is this really true?

My Findings:
1. Stupid? I graduated from college. Stupid people can’t do that.

2. Bad? My hobby is doing random acts of kindness.

3. Crazy? I freely admit I am nutty. Truly crazy people don’t do that.

4. Lazy? When I’m not paralyzed by fear of failure, I am very industrious.

5. Ugly? What does an ugly person look like? I have no idea. (Anyway I think I’m kinda cute.)

6. Immature? "You're grown up when you can have a good laugh at yourself." I do that all the time. Every day, in fact.

7. Careless? When not distracted by fear of not being good enough, I am very careful.

8. Boring? “A bore is someone who talks on and on about their surgery when you want to talk about your surgery.” Not me.

The Plan:
Every time I feel worthless I will go over the list. By doing so my self-image will hopefully change.

Someday I may even become like Nance:

She was having trouble with her computer. Instead of calling herself stupid, etc. she said,
1.“I know I am a smart person."
2. "I’m not getting this."
3. "Therefore I need to get someone to help me.”

1 comment:

Susan Taylor Brown said...

Stupid people make their kids feel stupid.

I love your rational behind each of the negative comments. Good for you!